[AT] OT:Musta been the lightning

HaliganBar at aol.com HaliganBar at aol.com
Thu Aug 4 05:29:36 PDT 2005

Well, in a very bizarre chain of events, I've had alternator failure on 2
vehicles in the same day. It started when my 4-wheeler wouldn't start...a check
of the battery showed 11.3 volts before starting and 11.0 volts after starting.
Then about 3 hours later I was coming back from the local farm store and I
noticed the alternator light on my Chevy C2500 was lit up. So I sent the kids to
drop the 4-wheeler at the dealership (the first time I was glad our oldest
daughter had a boyfriend with a pickup) and I grabbed the "bumpy old pickup" and
Kristopher (age 9) to help bale 151 bales of hay we had down.

After stacking the hay in the barn I removed the old alternator and my wife
ran off to Autozone to get the new one. I did take the time to clean all the
battery connections (my truck has dual batteries). The first battery cleaned up
nicely. However, when I tried to unscrew the sidepost on the other battery the
entire positive terminal came right out of the side of the battery. Well, I
guess the good news is the cable ends are really clean..actually so is the
positive terminal...unfortunately it's also sitting in my hand.

The only thing that kept me calm during the entire ordeal was the hour of
quality time I spent raking hay with the Farmall 350 (requisite antique tractor
reference). I think it's very strange that both should fail on the same day. I
can't think of anything the 2 vehicles had in common that might explain
it....except..we did have a thunderstorm pass nearby the night before. Maybe
lightning fouls sparkplugs AND wrecks alternators.

Thanks for letting me ramble...
Karl