[AT] no spark on 601

Chris Britton c.britton at worldnet.att.net
Mon Aug 15 05:33:20 PDT 2005

>From: "Jeff Green" <jd_green at swbell.net>
>Subject: [AT] No spark
>I'm having a fit solving a real basic problem on my Ford 601.  Can't get a
>spark.  Not at the plugs or the points.  I know I'm >getting power to the
>distributor, from getting zapped when I stuck a screwdriver in the points.
>I've replaced the coil & >condensor.  It's a 12 volt system.
>Any ideas on where to look next?

A ford sidemount ignition circuit is just about as simple as they come for
troubleshooting.

You have power from the key switch to the primary of the coil, then a wire
from the coil (other side of primary ) that goes to the points, and thus
ground.  You have a high tension wire from the coil secondary to the
distribuitor cap.

Best thing to do is follow the volts.. ensure that you have power at the
switch to primary connection.  A test lamp or vom is usefull.  Now.. ensure
that the primary is not open.. an ohm meter is usefull for this as well..
however a test lamp will also work.

Now, check to see that the points actuall open and close.. both physicall,
and electrically.

Easy way to do this is to disconnect the wire to the coil hook it to your
test lamp clip, then touch probe to the low tension wire from the coil to
the distrib.  Spin engine over... lamp should flash off and on if poit s are
openiong and closing.  Alternately an ohm meter could be used to test the
circuit.

If lamp stays on.. points aren't closing.. if lamp stays off.. points are
shorted.. though capacitor could also be shorted.

Gap points at .025.  Pay attention to the insulating bushing and feed thru
wire that passes thru the distribuitor body to the points.  this insulator
is notorious for cracking, as well as the copper xfer strip.

A good test is to jumper power right from battery to the coil primary.. then
use a jumper wire fromthe other side of the primary thru the hole in the
distrib from the (removed) feed-thru insulator, to the points.

That should at least provide spark to the secondary of the coil IF points
are opening and closing... Remember.. points closed and the coil is
saturating it's mag field... field colapses and induces a voltage on the
secondary when the points open..

If you have spark at the  secondary but not the plugs.. look at the distrib
cap, and rotor.. ensure a good fit and no cracks ont he rotor and distrib
cap.. no contacts that have been hitting each other from worn distrb
bushings.. and no carbon tracks or cracks int he cap... next thing would be
to check timing if you have spark at the secondary.. but not at the plugs..
( i.e.  it is fireing.. but not when the rotor is lined up with the distrib
cap contacts.. )

Soundguy