[Farmall] Paint Questions (long)

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 15 06:09:09 PDT 2005

Without good surface prep it doesn't matter what kind
of paint you use or how well you apply it.  Make sure
that the surface is clean and OIL FREE.  Use your
lacquer thinner, or a very good water based degreaser
and wash it.  I like the purple stuff that you get by
the gallon.  The puple stuff is marketed under several
different brand names including Castrol.
When you are satisfied that the surface is ready its
time to paint.  Do your painting shortly after
cleaning so that the tractor doesn't have time to get
dirty again.  I recommend using a primer.  If the
parts a primed it will take less paint when applying
the color coat and the primer will show spots where
your surface prep isn't good.  Its much easier to fix
primer than it is cxolor.  Make sure that the primer
is compatible with the color coat that ytou will be
using.  You need to pick your paint.  I used the paint
from the IH dealer on a plow last year and I'm really
disappointed with it.  I have found the IH paint to be
much softer & less durable than many automotive
finishes.  If you chose IH paint look into a hardener
for it and also consider clear-coating afterwards.  I
prefer PPG Delstar paint with hardener.  Delstar is a
paint designed for use on fleet trucks so its tough
stuff perfect for use on a tractor.  Most automotive
finish manufacturers will have a comparable product
EX: Dupont Imron.  Automotive finishes are very
expensive but they produce a superior product.  I
chose the expensive stuff because I hate doing the
same job twice.  Surface prep is just to much work!
In the end its your tractor and you shoul use whatever
painy you want.  Make sure that you follow the
directions to the letter.  Use only the recommended
thinners and hardeners.  The instructions will also
instruct you on how and when you can apply additional
coats...... READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!
Prep yourself and the shop before painting.  The floor
needs to be clean and dust free.  Drafts from the
paint gun will kick up any dust and it will go int
your paint.  Consider building a primitave paint booth
from plastic sheet.  The booth doesn't have to have
air tight seams and perfect lighting.  A simple tent
will be quite helpful though.  The tent will help keep
dirt and bugs out of your paint and keep overspray off
of your other stuff.  If you can, rig an exhaust fan
for your spray booth.  Pay attention to where your
overspray is going including that which exits the fan.
 Get a pressure regulator, filter, and water separator
for your air supply.  Use the pressure recommended by
the paint maker.  The more of you body that is covered
by clothes the less you will have to clean paint off
of later.  I often paint in short sleeves and usually
whish I hadn't.  Make sure you clothes fit properly.
Very loose clothes will droop and could be dragged
through the paint accidentially.  Tie back long hair
for the same reason.  I hat may also be helpful.  The
most important part of getting yourself ready is
getting and using a good mask to keep from breathing
the volatile solvents used on automotive finishes.  I
dust mask is not adequate!  When you are finished
painting get away from the project ASAP.  Lingering in
the area will only kick up dirt and make it possible
for you to bump into the wet paint.  Go to a seperate
area to clean you equipment.  I find it best to leave
the building for a few hours because I can't stay away
before the paint is dry.
Make sure that the conditions are good for paint.  I
once painted shortly after a rain storm and learned a
very hard lesson.  Excessive humidity will cause the
paint to flash.  When paint flashes it turns dull and
doesn't shine.  Kind of like the difference between
glossy photos and ones with a mat finish.  We all want
shiny tractors.  Also be sure to follow the paint
makers recommendations on temperature.
Sorry for the long post.  I'm very much a novice
painter but I've learned a few things along the way.
Hopefully, my experiences will help you.

Note:  Don't leave the purple solvent on painted
surfaces for an extended period.  Is a good cleaner
and may harm the paint.

--- Jim Kordick <jkor1 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> To the group:
>
> My boy and I have stripped down a Farmall 'H', with
> intention of painting
> (possibly Labor Day weekend).
>
> We have sandblasted and wire brushed the majority of
> it.  We used some paint
> stripper on the hood sections.
>
> The tires are still on the rims, but are off the
> wheels.  The tractor is
> sitting on blocks on the
> wheels.  Getting the rim clamps off proved to be
> quite an experience.  Some
> of the bolts had
> to be drilled out and torched out.
>
> I have read different sources about painting, but
> wanted to get some input
> from the group.
> This is going to be our first by ourselves.
>
> Any suggestions on de-greasing, cleaning (laquer
> thinner?), priming, and
> paint types.  We have a CaseIH dealer close, so I do
> have a source for red
> paint.  We have seen a video from J+D Productions on
> painting but are just
> looking for more suggestions.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jim Kordick