Railways was Re: [AT] Gasoline $

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sat Aug 13 04:00:03 PDT 2005

A relatively recent book about the Army convoy that Ike was part of is
called "American Road: The Story of an Epic Transcontinental Journey at
the Dawn of the Motor Age" by Pete Davies. I bought my copy as a
"publisher's remainder" for about $3. At the time, the Lincoln Highway
existed mostly on various chambers of commerce maps and little else. The
whole operation was somewhat strange, but it did get the US government
into the road building business.

Mike

Don Bowen wrote:
> At 8/12/2005, you wrote:
>
>> As Charlie said in a post earlier today
>> it was trucks that lead to the demise of the intra state rail network ...
>> however, I don't think that would have happened had it not been for the
>> interstate highways.
>

> Eisenhower was part of the US Army Convoy that travelled from Washington
> DC to San Francisco over the Lincoln Highway in 1920.  It was a grueling
> trip with roads not even marked in many places, bridges that could not
> hold even a light command car, and mud holes that could hold even the
> best tractors firmly in place.  During WWII he noticed how fast the
> Germans could move troops and how the US railways were a constant bottle
> neck.  So he launched a huge public works project, the US Interstate
> Highway system.
>
> Much of the western end of the Lincoln Highway is now US 50.  In Nevada
> it is called the loneliest highway and I believe it.  About a month ago
> I drove US 50 and spent theee miserable days with a bad case of food
> poisoning.  One of those days was spent in a truck stop parking lot puking.
>
> Don Bowen                          Awl Knotted Up
>
> My travel journal
>
> My present location is the star on the map in the link below
> http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=39.16742&longitude=-119.76702

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

"As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has
the best information."  -Benjamin Disraeli (1804 -1881)