Alt fuels was Re: [AT] Gasoline $

Don Bowen don.bowen at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 11 12:15:20 PDT 2005

At 8/11/2005, you wrote:
>I don't buy the argument that it takes more energy to produce alcohol than
>it returns.  That is propaganda from the oil companies.  The only way you
>come up with that much energy is if you include the solar energy that it
>took to grow the corn.

http://www.transportation.anl.gov/pdfs/TA/58.pdf
According to figures on the above, with current technology the net energy
gain is a bit less than 20 kBTU.  Near term new technologies described in
the paper show a net gain as much as 75 kBTU.

With a yield of about 2.5 gallons per bushel, how many acres will it take
to replace the current demand for gasoline?  At $.54 per gallon subsidy,
how deep into the red will the government have to go?

Don Bowen                          Awl Knotted Up

My travel journal

My present location is the star on the map in the link below
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=39.16742&longitude=-119.76702