Railways was Re: [AT] Gasoline $

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Fri Aug 12 15:48:04 PDT 2005

Ralph,

I guess this is a "me too" but since reading Cecil's initial post two or
three days ago I've been thinking the same thing re: the loss of the intra
state rail network.  I grew up in southern Illinois and even after the war
most things got to - or at least got within a few miles of - the farm by
rail.  And as you've said the same was true for things leaving the farm even
including milk.

I recall one instance growing up when a farmer friend of ours bought a David
Bradley mail order hammer mill.  Brownstown, which had a population of less
than a thousand, is about ten miles from Herrick which probably had a
population of less than a hundred.  The farmer lived a couple of miles from
Herrick and didn't want to have to drive his Allis WC and wagon to
Brownstown to pick it up so he put down Herrick on the mail order form and
that is where the hammer mill got delivered ... by train.

As you've said it was in Canada so it was in the US ... the towns, while
initially springing up along the river, later came to develop along the
railroad.  I think most of us in the US would probably say that the
interstate highway system, which was kicked off during the Eisenhower
administration, was a good thing.  As Charlie said in a post earlier today
it was trucks that lead to the demise of the intra state rail network ...
however, I don't think that would have happened had it not been for the
interstate highways.

Dudley
Snohomish, Washington