Alt fuels was Re: [AT] Gasoline $

George Willer gwill at toast.net
Thu Aug 11 14:42:59 PDT 2005

Smitty,

You are dealing with a double whammy.  Of course the diesel is slightly more
efficient  as Carnot observed many decades ago, but fossil diesel fuel also
contains more energy per gallon than gasoline, which you are harvesting.
The kicker is the point where the savings from both those factors come into
play.  You could, of course harvest more savings by using the diesel more...
such as on a trip to Portland!  :-)  It requires a lot of miles using the
diesel engine to realize the potential saving to offset the extra initial
cost.

What we really need to know and I haven't seen addressed is the energy
available in a gallon of bio-diesel, compared to fossil diesel.  The use of
discarded French fry oil isn't a viable enough source to be worth
mentioning.   (as you know, Ethanol compares unfavorably to gasoline).

George Willer