[AT] Shop thoughts (was)Air Lines

Cecil Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Tue Aug 2 13:21:15 PDT 2005

	I suspect a lot of us made do with what we had rather than
what we would like to have had. I was one of them and for a while
there when the kids were small and growing up, I did without more
that I "did with". It seems like all the time I spent looking at
catalogs and wishing for things in those days were the days when
we were lucky to have $5 left over at the end of the week. Some
times we were lucky to have that much left over at the end of payday.
I used to say, "Geez, it seems like I'm being watched and every darn
time I have anything left over, someone shows up with his hand out
for it."  We never did buy on credit except for the house and a car
once in a while and could have had more "things" but it is just as
well. Apparently the kids learned from it and are all in good shape
today as a result.

	Even here where we have been the last 20 years, and own the
property with decent income from jobs and from rental income, I made
do with a small 10 foot by 12 foot shop with a low ceiling under one
of the rental cottages for 17 of those 10 years. I had an old Monkey
Wards 3 hp air compressor with the rubber hose wrapped around the
handle and never even bought a hose holder for it. I guess that little
shop is why I stuck to small tractors. I had to buy things that would
go in the door. I already knew how to be frugal so didn't have to
learn that at least. It doesn't help much with the buying but it sure
makes you feel better in the selling.

	Anyhow, I finally broke down and built a 36' X 48' pole barn
shop/carpenter shop combination. I looked the other day and have 7
tractors, a skid steer, 3 golf carts and the stand by generator in
there out of the weather. I have to say it is nice to be able to
work where there is room to turn around and to have my own shop hoist
to work on heavy stuff with. I still have the old air compressor and
there is still no auto rewinder on the hose. The hose on it is still
the same old hose my German Shorthair pointer chewed a hole in and
almost blew her head off. It works just as good with the small hose
clamp on it where I repaired it as it did before.
	Funny thing about that shop. I said to Lucille just the other
day, "You know, I have things sort of backwards here. I have two
expensive trucks sitting outside in the weather and all these damned
tractors that at worth a fraction of what they are worth are sitting
inside high and dry. I must have something backwards somewhere." But
they are still there inside and the trucks are still outside and it
will probably stay that way.

	Oh yes, I would like to have pipe all over the place too but
first I not only have to get the money and the urge but I would have
to find a "round tuit" too.  These "round tuits" get scarcer and
scarcer as you get older, BTW.

Cecil