[AT] Shop thoughts (was)Air Lines

Pete Celano petecelano at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 1 07:44:44 PDT 2005

Indiana Robinson wrote, (among other things):
> 	I guess I have only a passing interest in hearing from guys that are doing
> "professional" restorations or the guys with the big huge complete shops doing big
> things. I prefer hearing from guys that are solving problems the best they can with
> things the average list member has at hand to work with. The younger guys with a table, a
> vice and a small box of tools are the future of this hobby (I hope)...

There is a third way, one that I have followed and most grease-heads I
know have as well... picking up scrapped, used and obsolete tools, gear
and machinery.

I run a small shop just outside of Detroit, comprised of what started
with a surface grinder and lathe that were all but given to me.  There
are a lot of people with very limited means around who have built
impressive and capable shops going this route.  We're "old school,"
because the equipment from back then was far more dependent on the skill
and savvy of the operator than on whiz-bang computer controls, ball
screws with no backlash, coated carbide and ceramic tooling and all the
rest.  The gradual dying off of the skills to do quality work on the old
manual machinery has driven the prices down almost to the value of the
iron in many cases, and even below that for heavier stuff.

The biggest hurdle is often moving the stuff safely.  The bigger gear
can often be had for free - IF you can move it!  Three phase power is as
easy as wiring up an old motor as a converter.  All you need then is
someplace to put it.

What I'm trying to say is that building a substantial shop isn't
necessarily dependent on being able to invest a great deal of money.  In
many cases they come with years of patience, being prepared to take
advantage of opportunities, hitting garage sales and flea markets and
getting the word out that you are interested in this stuff.  I started
out in my garage with nothing.  My self-supporting little factory has
functioning equipment dating back to the Civil War, plus I'm keeping the
old methods alive and even passing some of them on to a new generation.

And now, after 17 years of that, I'm ready to tackle my first tractor...
a 1945 2N that is sitting proudly in the suburban garage where my shop
used to be.

Pete in Detroit