[AT] Shop thoughts (was)Air Lines

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Mon Aug 1 07:49:42 PDT 2005

Amen! Farmer, and thanks.  I'm following your lead a little bit at a
show up in Portersville, Pennsylvania, this weekend like what you do at
Connersville Prairie.  I'm taking along enough tools and parts to do a
complete replacement of sickle knife sections on an MD-6 at the show.  A
friend from Georgia is bringing in his knife with the old sections
knocked off of it, and I'm going to run a riveting seminar.  There are
three or four other sickle bar owners that may also show up with their
knives, so we should have good sessions on Friday and Saturday.  I
intend to run it the same way Tom Sawyer whitewashed the fence.

FWIW, I bought the last of the inventory of 5/16" X 2" rivets that
Johnson Hardware had in stock in Orrville, Ohio.  These are the rivets
that are needed for replacing pitman sticks on the old mowers that have
three rivets holding the straps on both ends.  Johnson Hardware has had
them in stock for better than 50 years, but when they bought their
current stock (better than 30 years ago) they had to get them as NOS
items. This size is apparently no longer made.  At least, I haven't been
able to find them from any supplier.  They still have that diameter, but
not that length.  I also have a supply of 1/4" X 2 1/4" rivets for the
"four rivet" models.

Larry