[Farmall] nuisance

Ed crest25 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 1 10:31:25 PDT 2005

Karl,

While I understand the thinking and reationale for such a law, it has it's limitations and legislative intent.

Disabled and abandoned vehicles of any kind detracts from a neighborhood and also can become a health hazard to a neighborhood. The blight can attract rats, mice, unwanted insects, and is an "attractive nuisance" for kids to play around and become injured. It downgrades the property values and the result can be an undesirable environment to live in.

Meanwhile, there are those like me who love old cars and tractors. I own three Model A Fords, two tractors, and also have a storage shipping container on my property. Oh, all on the same property as my brand new home that I plan on moving into any day. Just let them try to come on my property and remove one of my antique cars. First, fair warning. Second, shot in the ground. Third, shot in the ass.

I had to deal with Code Enforcement once where I presently live (Riverside County). Even when I had no CCRs limiting me and my actions to my own property they tried to say
1. I can't have my city supplied trash containers showing from the street,
2. I can't have any non-registered vehicles behind my fence in the back yard,
3. I can't park my motor home, boat, or even car in my driveway to my garage. It prevents access into my garage. Guess what? I don't have a garage - it's a garage conversion. OH, then
4. You can't have a conversion. You have to have a garage. Gues what, I have a permit for it that predates your stupid "can't have" municipal code. It's grandfathered!
5. In case you think of parking a car on the grass, don't! If it is dirt, okay, but not grass. My neighbor was told of his dirt he had to plant something or cement it or cover it with gravel or rocks in order to park a vehicle on it. Can they ever get their story straight?
6. Finally, you can't park a camper or RV in the street unless you get a 72-hour pass (that costs a fee). I won't even bother going there!!!! Now you know why I'm moving to the desert.

When I was buying my land, I mentioned to my prospective builder that I intended to park an RV on the property for security purposes and would be there at unannounced times. He advised me I needed a permit (NOT!) and I can't live there in one without a Certificate of Occupancy. Gee, I don't have those restrictions when I go camping on someone else's property yet I need that to camp on my own property? (NOT!)

Some legislators are simply out of control in trying to be control freaks. Don't let them. Next they will be telling you that you can't have rust on your tractor or dirt on the blade. Gee, it even leaves tracks in the dirt. Soon that will be a crime too.

Ah, now I feel better that that's off my chest. Thanks for indulging me.

Ed

Karl Olmstead <olmstead at ridgenet.net> wrote:
Looks like Kern County will be passing a new set of rules regarding
'abandoned, wrecked, dismantled or inoperative vehicles' this week. Los
Angeles county passed a similar ordinance several years ago, and it had
major impact on old car collectors. All the unrestored, classical or
antique cars got hauled away.

Interesting how the ordinance reads. It starts off talking about vehicles
left standing on county roads for more than 72 hours, but later on broadens
the definition of a nuisance vehicle to include wrecked, dismantled or
inoperable mobilehomes aircraft, commercial coaches, office trailers,
railroad cars, cargo containers, semi-trucks and commercial trailers or
heavy duty farm and industrial equipment regardless of where they are
located. If there's a house on the property near the nuisance vehicles,
written notice will be sent thirty days before the offending vehicles are
removed. If there's no residence, no written notice will be given.

It's hard to say how the new regulations will affect me. I've already
arranged for a 40' x 60' metal building to be erected in September. That
should conceal a good share of my collection. And I have a windbreak, a
double row of evergreen trees surrounding my 5 acres, so you have to work
pretty hard to see into my yard.

Then there's the attitude around here; people are pretty independent and
they feel that it is their right to park old cars and RVs in their yards.
This is the desert, after all, not a yuppie neighborhood. Should be
interesting....

-Karl