[Steam-engine] Firebox door (rookie question #999,999)

Jeff Smith steamenginesmitty at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 25 17:03:41 PDT 2005

Andy,

Mine is like that on the 5hp Huber and there is no
damper on it either.  It is just a smaller scale than
yours.  Just a baffel and a hole in it also.  When I
had a Frick it had one that rotated and could be
closed.  I used to fire a Frick portable on a sawmill
and I used to bank the fire and leave that cracked so
it would still burn the slabs and the fire not go out
from the smoke.  With the ash pan door closed it would
not produce a lot of heat to cause the safety to lift
but the wood fire would still burn and keep the boiler
hot until we started sawing again.  Once I opened the
damper door and started sawing again it would take
right off.

Jeff Smith

http://www.steamengine.com.au/events/reports/old_threshers_2001/pics/DSC01098-huber-firebox-door.jpg