[Steam-engine] Firebox door (rookie question #999,999)

James Hansen jhsg at sasktel.net
Mon Apr 25 20:13:32 PDT 2005

The plate behind catches most of the heat from the fire, the vent keeps the
door from getting so hot from the cooling effect of the air entering
betweent he layers and cooling the door.
In theory, you want a damper- because you should be able to shut the fire
off when all the dampers are closed.  This hole would let oxygen in to keep
the fire going.  Not ideal, but then again it keeps you from getting burned
on the door...
-James