[Farmall] 340U brakes fixed - now questions about PTO

br549 at hemc.net br549 at hemc.net
Fri Apr 22 04:44:26 PDT 2005

I got new parts from Hoober and eBay to get the brakes into working
order (the RH side pad material had separated from the metal backing
plates!). I needed to do some bush hogging and got to use the PTO
for the first time. What I found is when I get into thicker grass, the
blade / PTO will "choke" and stop turning. This does not change the
RPM of the engine. It seems that if I pull up on the PTO engagement
handle, the PTO immediately turns at the correct speed.

If I understand correctly, the PTO should be fully engaged by just
releasing the handle from the off / lock position (is there a locked on
position too?). Is the linkage for the engagement handle out of
adjustment? What other things could cause the PTO to slow / stop
under such a light load? How can I tell what type of PTO I have (clutch
or gear)?