[AT] OT Redbud/asparagus

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Thu Apr 21 11:46:56 PDT 2005

George this is supposed to be a true account of a conversation heard around
the pot bellied stove at a store near where I grew up.  It took place when I
was a child.

Two farmers talking around the stove.  One said he loved grits.  It was his
favorite food.  The other said he was crazy the things weren't fit to eat.
The first one says "you are the one that's crazy. cover them grits with
butter and red-eye gravy.  They can't be beat"
The second farmer says, " You damned fool, sand would be good with butter
and red-eye gravy!"

Actually I like them but I was raised on them.  As for the Asparagus, I
never ate any until I was about 25.  You couldn't even find them in the
stores around here when I was a kid.  There isn't any one thing I don't like
about them.  In total, they are a little too slimy but not as bad as stewed
okra (just slightly above Asparagus on my scale),  a little too bitter
(sometimes) and kind of rank green tasting (that is a local expression I
thing and I can't describe it but I know it when I taste it).  Maybe if they
were soaked in hot pepper vinegar for a while, drained and covered with
butter and red-eye gravy.  LOL

Charlie