[Steam-engine] Pitted shaft & Babbitt bearings

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 20 05:23:10 PDT 2005

The bearings to be poured are split bearings.  You say
to repair the shaft first.  I intend JB to be the
repair.  The pitting is on the counter shaft that runs
under the boiler to drive the the wheels.  This shaft
is slow turning and the filler will only see
compression loading.  I got the idea after reading
about stationary engine guys using JB to repair
pitting and scratches in cylinders.  I just need to
make the surface smooth again.  JB weld advertises
that their product will work up to 600°.  The babbitt
will be hotter than that but only for a few moments.
I have heard of the newspaper method instead of
smoking the shaft with a torch.  Are you saying that
the paper might give a little protection from the
heat?
I have been checking around for product that will
stand high heat and JB is the best I've found so far.
Do you have other suggestions?

--- James Hansen <jhsg at sasktel.net> wrote:
> the JB weld wouldn't hold up Andy, but like was
> mentioned, a wrap of thinner
> paper (newspaper) saturated with cylinder oil or
> tallow should do the trick.
> The lard or oil holds the paper in place too.  There
> are products that can
> stand the heat and would fill the holes nicely, but
> simpler and cheaper is
> best...  Why not repair the shaft, then pour the
> bearing?
> -james

Andy Glines
Evansville, IN