[Steam-engine] Pitted shaft & Babbitt bearings

James Hansen jhsg at sasktel.net
Tue Apr 19 23:48:03 PDT 2005

the JB weld wouldn't hold up Andy, but like was mentioned, a wrap of thinner
paper (newspaper) saturated with cylinder oil or tallow should do the trick.
The lard or oil holds the paper in place too.  There are products that can
stand the heat and would fill the holes nicely, but simpler and cheaper is
best...  Why not repair the shaft, then pour the bearing?
-james