[AT] OT confused by new list format.

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Wed Sep 22 17:16:15 PDT 2004

>Spencer is there an easy way for you to address this?  I don't want you to

>go out of your way.  You do enough as it is.  I'll get used to it

The "To:" line on the message should tell the tale.   In mail from list
members directly to you, the "To:" line will have your address.   In list
mail, the "To:" line will have the list address even though it was
delivered to you.

The old list worked this same exact way too, except the old list didn't
have the [AT] tag that tends to confuse people.  Most people have their
email look for that tag for filtering purposes (ie a message comes in with
the [AT] tag, it puts the message in a special folder) .   Some people
(like me occasionally ) forget to take that tag off the subject line when
they directly reply to the sender.  Now the original author receives a
reply from a list member that looks and smells just like a list message
insofar as the email package is concerned because it still has the [AT] tag
in the subject line.  So it gets put into the "Antique-tractor List" folder
(or whatever folder) with the regular list messages.   You can only tell it
isn't list mail unless you look at the "To:" line or deeper in the headers.

There is no way around this unless the sender who is replying to you strips
out the [AT] tag before replying or folks set up their email to filter on
the "To:" using "at at lists.antique-tractor.com" as the pattern instead of
filtering on the subject line using the [AT] tag as the pattern.

Hope this helps,

Spencer Yost
Owner, ATIS
Plow the Net!