[Steam-engine] Safety valves...now firing

Andrew tech at andrew2.netpluscom.com
Mon Sep 20 14:21:33 PDT 2004

Well,
This is because a coal fire burns so much hotter that a wood fire, the hot
coals have more density and burn longer than hot wood coals. When the
draft doors are open you have a constant movement of cool fresh air coming
up through the grates which helps keep them cool, when that cool airflow
is cutoff the grates will heat up very quickly, even though there's little
air for the fire to burn but the heat is still very intense, it can be
hard on grates. I have not had any problems burning up grates myself
burning coal with the draft doors closed down... I think someone also
mentioned raking a hole in the middle of the grate also, this does allow
cool air to rush into firebox, and yes it does create more stress on the
boiler, especially the tube sheet...
Andrew.