[Steam-engine] Safety valves

Bruce & Marlene Babcock babcock2 at gte.net
Mon Sep 20 10:47:58 PDT 2004

Jeff,

    The blowdown specifications are found in PG-72.1. of both the 1983 and
2001 editions of the ASME Boiler Code.

    The 1983 Code specifies:  "After blowing down, all valves shall close at
a pressure not lower than 96% of their set pressure, ... ."

    The 2001 Code includes a table that specifies that for set pressures
between 67 psi and 250 psi the maximum blowdown is 6% of the set pressure.

      Ken's satisfaction with his modern safety valves with 4% blowdown
supports the idea that the increased blowdown may be a factor.  If we can
narrow down the date when the change from 4% to 6% took place, we may be
able to get a better sense of whether or not the change is responsible for
some of the problems owners and operators are reporting.

    I'm sure that it is not realistic to think that simply setting the
blowdown at 4% will solve all of the problems attributed to modern safety
valves.

 I look forward to any information you can find.

Thanks,

Bruce E. Babcock