[Farmall] Farmall C carb question

Karl Olmstead olmstead at ridgenet.net
Sun Sep 19 11:09:09 PDT 2004

Adjustable main jet indicates a distillate carb.  Needing choke could be
either vacuum leak or plugged idle circuit.  On the gasoline carbs, you can
do a limited mixture adjustment by raising or lowering float level.

You need to follow the instructions in the I&T manual for adjusting the carb
and governor.  The first step is adjusting governor to carb linkage so that
the governor can pull (or push, I forget which) the carb butterfly wide
open.  Otherwise the engine will never develop full power.  Low speed idle
is adjusted on the carburetor.  High idle (full power) RPM is set on the
governor, and there's also an adjustment to eliminate hunting.

The governor must be in reasonably good condition in order to work properly,
and it is a high wear item on Farmall A/B/C due to inadequate lubrication
and a tendency for condensation to collect in that area and corrode the
bearings and gears.  If there's too much slop, it'll never work well.  If
you do open up the governor, keep in mind that there's a spring loaded
'bumper' in the front of the case which keeps governor gear pushed back
where it belongs.  This little piston likes to get stuck, which lets the
governor gear press forward and partially disengage the gear that drives it.

The parts are still available from Case/IHC to rebuild the governor, but
it'll run you at least $300.  You can do it for $50 or less if you buy
bearings from a local distributor and make the shafts from CRS or drill rod.
To do a topnotch job, the case needs to have the operator's control shaft
hole bored and reamed, and a bronze bushing inserted.  I didn't do that on
mine, and the throttle response isn't as good as it could be.

-Karl
> Hi all,
> I just changed carbs on my 1948 Farmall C  and had a few question, what
> causes a governer to  seach for a set rpm , like at wide open throttle?
and why