[Farmall] Starting 340

Austin Hurst austinhurst at comcast.net
Tue Sep 7 20:17:56 PDT 2004

Larry,

    If all else fails, buy an Optima 6-volt battery (twice as expensive but
lasts twice as long and with higher cranking amps).  A friend of mine has a
Farmall 130 which acts like your 340.  After checking everything thoroughly,
his last ditch alternative was to get an Optima, and now the tractor starts
easily.  Optima batteries are a gel-filled coil-type battery that needs no
maintenance.  The dimensions are such that you have to install it diagonally
in the battery box (the battery is only 3 inches wide but 10 inches long).
There are a couple of small plastic ears on the bottom on each end that may
need to be shaved down a bit to make it fit (doesn't void the battery
warranty, however).
I have one of these Optimas in my Super C and won't ever buy any other
battery.  Will put one in my Super AV also when I get finished restoring it.

Austin