[AJD] 8 volt battery

E. Thatcher ethatche at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 6 13:26:37 PDT 2004

Eight volt batteries were a common fix for six volt systems back in the
fifities and later.  We had a Super M with M&W pistons that used an eight
volt to help spin it over better. I found later that if one used a higher
amperage six volt and had the correct heavy gauge cables and wires. Your
cranking power measured in watts is determined by multiplying the volts time
the amperage. Low volts require high amps to get the desired watts, hence
cables have to be big and in good shape. Higher voltage systems are more
forgiving and can use much smaller cables. Easier maintenance ad higher
reliablility is probably why a lot of farmers converted to higher volt
systems.

Eric Thatcher
Carrollton, IL

52 JD A