[Farmall] Ignition Systems 101 was: Farmall C question

cliff king crawlerman1 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 2 17:03:58 PDT 2004

Weellllll...LOL. If you go by the laws of resistance/ohms/volts it's natural for the resistance to go up as the amount of voltage increases. Coil saturation time is controlled by crankshaft rotation degrees, commonly known as "dwell". In a 360 degree rotation of the crank, the points will stay closed for approx. 30 degrees of that. Almost all 12 volt systems have a ceramic resistor installed inline. Chrysler has used them for years. If you convert a tractor that is 6 volt, to avoid burning up the points one must install one of these. Ford Motor Co. used an inline distributor lead to knock the voltage down to the points. So an answer to your question about the condensor...if you do the proper conversion, be it a ceramic resistor or the inline wire between the coil and points, it still drops the voltage used to 8 or less. I know this is long winded, but it would be a good idea to cut/print this info. And one must keep in mind that when most tractors are converted, most guys us!
 e an
 alternator which puts out 14.5 to 15.3 volts at full field charge.Naturally, when you slam 14 or more volts into a contact set...POOF the MAGIC DRAGON appears..or was that Puff...they get blue lookin and go up in smoke. Or burn together and it won't start. Back to the question about the condensor, if you put the resistor in there, the system operates just as if it were the original 6 volt. I can go into more detail if anyone needs it.

Stan Bass <headlight at erols.com> wrote:Cliff,
Do you mean literally to go off the resistance on the primary to select
the condenser, or the current drawn? ie: If we covert to a 12V system do
we need to spec a new condenser? The primary resistance goes from 1.5 to
3 ohms, but that is to keep the current the same at about 4 Amps.
Stan(VA).