[Farmall] Ignition Systems 101 was: Farmall C question

Mike Sloane msloane at att.net
Thu Sep 2 05:54:19 PDT 2004

When you convert to 12 volts, you put a ballast resister in the line to
keep the voltage to the coil (more or less) at 6 volts.

Mike

Stan Bass wrote:

> Cliff, Do you mean literally to go off the resistance on the primary
> to select the condenser, or the current drawn? ie: If we covert to a
> 12V system do we need to spec a new condenser? The primary resistance
> goes from 1.5 to 3 ohms, but that is to keep the current the same at
> about 4 Amps. Stan(VA).
>
> cliff king wrote:
>
>> Not a problem guys..I am always willing to give assistance or
>> thoughts, however, I tend to take the technical route because that
>> is the way I was taught. I can't recollect the correct ratio of
>> condenser to coil capacity..but I would sure research it if needed.
>> I have it in my collection of tech manuals somewhere around here.
>> You have to go off the primary winding of the coil due to the
>> magnification in voltage developed in the secondary winding needed
>> to fire the fuel ignition device( spark plug). 90% of the time I
>> work on/tear up/repair diesel engines so I tend to forget some of
>> the basic ignition stuff required to ignite gasoline. I didn't
>> intend for the message to be sarcastic..but I deal with wanna-be
>> parts changers on a daily basis (most of whom have no earthly idea
>> what the hell they're doing, let alone knowledge of how it's
>> supposed to work in the first place).
>>
>> Cliff
>>
>> Stan Bass <headlight at erols.com> wrote: I would vote to see your
>> thoughts on this, Cliff. Now this is from memory... but I recall
>> the last condensers I checked were about 1.2 uF for the Farmalls
>> and about 0.2 uF for the Cub Cadets? And coil selection (1-1/2, 3,
>> or 4-1/2 ohm coils). Our old tractors seem to draw about 4 Amps, so
>> I know our old 6V coils are about 1-1/2 ohm and the 12V ones are
>> about 3 ohms; but I read somewhere (wish I had saved it off) that
>> single cylinder motors like the Kohlers in IH Cub Cadets use a
>> 4-1/2 ohm coil (but I've checked several and all so far have 3 ohm
>> coils?). Trying to remember what it was based on, voltage, current,
>>  cylinders and RPM range? Don't worry about going over anybody's
>> head, that's how we learn. My only comment from doing this in the
>> past, is please state when things in an explanation are
>> over-simplified in the interest of brevity. That way if someone is
>> researching it further on their own, they know where the back holes
>> are ;) Thanks, Stan(VA).
>>
>> cliff king wrote:
>>
>>> In my garage, which I operate as a business, we don't guess. Put
>>> yourself in the customer's shoes standing there listening to
>>> someone tell you why the bill is outrageously high for a bunch of
>>> parts installed that didn't fix the problem. Use a test light and
>>> do some diagnostics instead of being a "parts changer at someone
>>> else's expense". I would lay odds on the condenser being bad.
>>> Practically every mag I overhaul has to have the coil and
>>> condenser replaced. The condenser is a miniature storage
>>> capacitor for the coil. The point set is simply a mechanically
> [...]

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
Email: (msloane at att.net)
Website: <http://www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Blog: <www.mikesloane.blogspot.com
Tractor images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>
Work: none - retired

Our elections are free, it's in the results where eventually we pay.
-Bill Stern, sports announcer (1907-1971)