[AT] Two questions...

Richard Walker richardwalker at pobox.com
Wed Sep 1 16:49:30 PDT 2004

>Do you think my 1953 Farmall Cub with aftermarket Cat. I three-point hitch
>would have the gumption to pull a 4-foot double-action pick-up disk? Found
>a secondhand one with faded paint and light rust on the disks, but very
>little real wear. Looks to be light duty, as if made for a large garden
>tractor.

Many years ago I shopbuilt a 3-point offset disk to fit my Cub LowBoy,
which was equipped with a homemade 3-point hooked up to its Touch Control
hydraulics.  I cannibalized most of the component parts for the disk from
an old orchard drag disk I had lying around.  The end result was a 4' disk,
using 18" blades, standard cast iron spacers, with everything bolted to a
heavy frame I welded up out of scrap 3" pipe.  The Cub had adequate power
and traction to pull it reasonably well and do a good job.  I used first
gear mainly and the disk would cut down about 4" deep, and would even disk
under a moderate growth of weeds.

The disk was a heavy unit though, and to avoid the Cub getting too light on
the front end when lifted, I had to add weight to the front of the Cub by
fabricating a front bumper of 4" pipe and filling it with concrete.  I had
front and rear wheel weights on the Cub, also.

 From the description of that disk, Bob, it sounds lighter than mine and I
don't think you'll have any problems.

Richard