[AT] PTO powered Generator - Fixed mount

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sat Oct 30 02:45:20 PDT 2004

The "rule of thumb" for generators is that you need 2 PTO hp for every
kilowatt you want to generate. You can run the generator on less HP if
you only need to get less than the rated output. So if you have a 30 HP
tractor, you can still produce 15 KW before the tractor runs out of
oomph. The 2:1 ration isn't precise, but I have run my 25 KW generator
off a Ford 860 during power outages, and the governor rarely even kicks
in except when the well pump starts up. When I had my Farmall 706, I
used a PTO adapter and ran the generator from the 1000 rpm PTO because
it was much quieter. To set the engine speed, I just used an inexpensive
frequency meter and brought the engine up to where the generator was
putting out 60 Hz. That worked very well. The generator is bolted to an
old pallet that sits on my porch at the house and is plugged into a
whole house transfer switch. When the power goes out, I back a tractor
up to the house, hook up the PTO, and throw the switch.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and
groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, more vengeance, more
desolation. War is hell. -William Tecumseh Sherman, Union General in the
American Civil War (1820-1891)