[Steam-engine] Gould? Balanced Valve from a Case Compound Engine

Bruce & Marlene Babcock babcock2 at gte.net
Tue Oct 26 04:55:53 PDT 2004

    I recently acquired a compound cylinder for a Case engine and a variety of unassembled parts that appear to belong with it.  Two of the parts may be a Gould balanced valve.   I am sure that I don't have all of the pieces.  The ports to the high pressure cylinder have been blocked off with what appears to be lead or Babbitt and the high pressure piston is missing.  The low pressure cylinder is 10" diameter and I believe the high pressure one is 7".  There is a round plate about 12" diameter that has a pipe plug in the center.  I suspect this is the head that belongs between the two cylinders and that the plug was installed after the high pressure cylinder was abandoned.  The previous owner told me the cylinder came from a 45 horsepower engine.   I was surprised to see that there are no indicator ports on the cylinders.

    At first, I assumed the semi-cylindrical valve parts did not belong with the cylinder.   However, when I cleaned them I found "CASE" stamped next to the part number and a 1907 patent date.   I believe the valve parts are for the low pressure cylinder and that the high pressure parts were scrapped when the high pressure cylinder was abandoned many years ago.

    I suspect the owner of the engine was not pleased with its performance once the high pressure cylinder was disabled.   Except for an inch of stroke, this would be the equivalent of having a 65 horsepower engine on a 45 horsepower boiler.

    Does anyone have any information about Gould balanced valves used on Case engines?  My 1907 and 1914 catalog reprints, my copies of The Science of Successful Threshing, and the Stemgas reprint of the Case Steam Engine Manual all show a balanced valve on a compound engine but these are different from the parts I have.

    Any information about these parts and when Case may have used this type of valve would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Bruce E. Babcock