[Ford-ferguson] overhaul 9n/2n

Chris Britton c.britton at worldnet.att.net
Tue Oct 26 04:42:17 PDT 2004

>> remove the old
>>(steel) liners with something that looks like a muffler chisel - I think
>>I can do that with my air chisel.

Be carefull you don't score the block

>>So how has anyone installed liners in a 9N-2N engine without having
>>access to the special arbor (or any way I can see to make one)? When I

Lots of people bore the block for the newer cast iron liners for just this
reason.

>>While I am at it, before I tore the engine down, I had oil pressure that
>>started out OK but dropped to virtually nothing once the engine warmed
>>up. The bearings all appear to be fine, so I am guessing that the oil
>>pump needs to be rebuilt. And thoughts about that?

Pretty common once the bearing clearances open up.  Though it isn't a bad
idea to rebuild the pump.. that isn't where your problem is as you have good
cold oil pressure.  Most of it will be lost at the mains and the cam..
You'll notice your cam runs bare in the block.. no bearings to replace...
though i have heard of people who repair the cam area of the block by having
it machined for bearings, or send it to a place that can repour babbit..
etc.

Avoid the temptation to overbore the block and install mercury pistons and
no liners.  The hp gain is some.. but overall negligible.. and you have a
good chance to ruin the block.  If you need to get up to 33 hp.. just get a
NAA or other 134ci red tiger powered ford.

You might also consider getting a later style head if you'rs hasn't already
been replaced at some time.  The 9n/2n head and block had 6:1 comp ratio..
later units had 6.5:1.

Soundguy