[Ford-ferguson] 2N overhaul help

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Oct 26 06:40:12 PDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: <rdlotze at juno.com>
To: <ford-ferguson at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2004 7:54 PM
Subject: Fw: [Ford-ferguson] 2N overhaul help

> Mike
> When I replaced the liners in our 8N I used a bag of crushed Dry Ice
> (Frozen CO2) inside each Sleeve and only had to Tap each one about 1/4"
> to 1/2" with a wood block to be fully seated. Allow 15 to 20 minutes to
> cool sleeve before inserting and DO NOT USE OIL - must be dry. I kept in
> freezer so they didn't frost up so bad.
That sounds like a workable plan. Suppose I put the liners in a styrofoam
cooler filled with dry ice. Wouldn't that do the same thing as keeping the
liners in the freezer? And I guess the problem with using oil at those
temperatures is the oil freezing or at least being so cold that it actually
resists movement. Good point.

> I note that TSC still lists "Sleeve Assemblies" (which is what we used 15
> years ago and at that time included pistons, rings, pins etc)  - might
> want to check them out.
My inclination is to get them from T.H.E. Company http://www.the-co.com/ in
Mt. Pleasant IA. I have had good service from them, and their prices are
competitive. The nearest TSC is in Pottstown PA, which is two hours away,
making it cheaper (at today's fuel prices) to order by mail.

> Check Rod and Main Journals with Mic. and if not out round too much
> (.003" max.) you can buy undersize inserts
That is today's project: measuring all journals so I can determine what else
to order with the sleeve assemblies. I also need kingpin bearings and
bushings and an front axle center bushing, as well as con rod little end
bushings.

Mike