[Ford-ferguson] 2N overhaul help

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Oct 26 06:27:29 PDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: <Buckies at aol.com>
To: <ford-ferguson at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2004 6:53 PM
Subject: Re: [Ford-ferguson] 2N overhaul help

> the sleeves should be put in the freezer, then they slip into the clean
and
> prepped block. but first hold the sleeve upside down over the block to
make sure the sleeve
> will protrude over the block, once installed, about 003 inch install with
an oak block fully prepared > in advance, as you only have  5  seconds after
the freezer.
That sounds like a good idea, but my freezer is back at the house, about 100
yards from the barn - I am quick, but not that quick enough to do the 100
yard dash in 5 seconds. :-)

> carefully remove the thin sleeves with a very dull screwdriver type thing.
> thick sleeves need a puller /driver "thin sleeve" blocks can be honed to
083 over and use 083
> pistons. Boring  to 100 over is possible using v8 100 over race pistons.
this will make your N
> real peppy. I have measured it at 34 hp. power camshaft is an option.
I am sure I could invest in that kind of thing, if I wanted to pull the
engine (which I don't) and if I needed to increase the power. But the
reality is that I would still have a 1946 2N when I was done, and, while
that was a real handy machine in 1946, it is pretty much just something to
putter around with now. That goofy arrangements of the left brake, as well
as the PTO and lift might be fine for plowing and disking, but they make for
awkward operation with any kinds of mowers. I just want to bring the tractor
back to approximately "original". With the Sherman underdrive and Howard 2
speed rear, I have the equivalent of a 12 speed Ford N, which is kind of
unusual. :-)

Mike