[Farmall] Engine Heaters

Larry L Hardesty hardestyll at unk.edu
Mon Oct 25 16:11:13 PDT 2004

Mike,  Thanks.  Yes, even with heavier cable, cleaning connections, etc.
it is a problem getting enough electricity to start the tractor in warm
weather.   It barely turns over, but the is usually enough to start the
tractor.  In cold weather, it may not start.

Larry

Mike Sloane <mikesloane at verizon.net>
Sent by: farmall-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com
10/25/2004 04:58 PM
Please respond to
Farmall/IHC mailing list <farmall at lists.antique-tractor.com>

cc

Subject
Re: [Farmall] (no subject)

For a 340 (if mine is typical of the breed), you are going to be OK with
the magnetic pan heater, but the biggest problem will be loss of
efficiency of the 6 volt battery. I would suggest rigging up a standard
battery heater, along with the pan heater and plugging them both into
one of those inexpensive thermostats that go on when the temperature
drops below 30 degrees.

Mike

Larry L Hardesty wrote:

> Folks,   I moved from Texas to Nebraska and now need to think about
> starting my Farmall 340 in cold weather and my Farmall Super C.  I have
> looked at three different heaters at the local TSC store:  1)  magnetic
> heater; 2) external heat tank; 3) heater connected to the bottom
radiator
> hose.   What are folks' recommendations?  The magnetic heater is the
most
> convenient but does it work? The external heat tank looks cumbersome to
> install and I don't know how it looks on the tractor.  The heater
> connected to the bottom radiator hose may be a problem since there does
> not appear to be much room to install it (and maybe not enough room). I
> grew up in Nebraska.  While winters seem milder in recent years (or my
> memory has faded), but we probably regularly get 0 F weather and
sometimes
> colder.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Larry Hardesty
> Kearney, Nebraska

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
Email: (mikesloane at verizon.net)
Website: <http://www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Tractor images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>
Work: none - retired

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -Aldous Huxley,
novelist (1894-1963)