[AT] question on use of resistor on coil

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Sat Oct 23 14:05:34 PDT 2004

	What gets me about this business, Charlie and Dean, is that
the coil I just tried is listed as a direct replacement for not only
AM791T but also for Delco Remy 1115379. I am just smart enough to know
that something is fishy with this as this coil, #AM373T, is also listed
in the Parts Catalog for my JD 2010 as the correct coil and we all know
the 2010 was never anything but a 12 volt system.

	When you go to a JD dealer today and ask for a new coil for the
40 or the 420 or the 2010, this is what you are going to get and whether
you have a 6 volt system or a 12 volt system doesn't matter to the parts
man.

	Getting back to my original question, are we supposed to use a
resistor with the coil in a 12 volt system or when used in a 6 volt
system?  I think the 12 volt system needs the resistor, not the 6 volt
but the instructions say boldly on the box "must be used with a resistor"
which is what puzzles me.

	FWIW, Dean, I have full sets of manuals for all of my JD tractors
- all three of them. grins. I bought the manuals shortly after I bought
each tractor so they would be as current with the model as possible.

Cecil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson
Lucille Hand-Monson