[AT] question on use of resistor on coil

Ronald L. Cook rlcook at pionet.net
Sat Oct 23 15:03:45 PDT 2004

Cecil,
	It has been my experience that there are no 12 volt coils.  They are 6
volt coils that require resistors.  If they are marked 12V on the coil,
it has an internal resistor.  Otherwise, an external resistor is
necessary to cut the running voltage to something less than 12 volts,
probably in the 4 to 5 volt range to insure longevity of the rest of the
ignition system.  This is my opinion.  For a fact, the 420 ignition
system is the same as the 40 ignition system as stated in the 420
service manual.  6 volt and uses the Delco Remy No. 1115379 coil.  No
resistors in the ignition system.  Only in the lighting system for "dim
lights".
	My engines that sit, be them John Deere, Willys, Wisconsin, etc. almost
always give me starting troubles until I clean the points.  Often I
clean them by installing new.  Sometimes touching up with a file will
work.  I have had corrosion in the primary wire and also at the switch
contacts which set up a resistance that ruined or completely eliminated
a spark.  Making more cleaning and replacing necessary.  Moisture
induced problems, I think.  On engines that are used constantly, this
never seems to be a problem.  You could give me the 420C and I would see
that it runs more often.<g>

Ron Cook
Salix, IA