[AT] OT - Old Chimney Question

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Thu Oct 21 16:00:16 PDT 2004

Nearly 60 years ago, Dad decided we were going to build a "hobby house"
and shop on the back of the garage with a fireplace in it.  At that
time, all the best information said that if you wanted a fireplace and
chimney to draw right, it had to have a smoke shelf -- a backward offset
right above the damper.  We put in two of them and they worked very
well.  The biggest problem was caused by squirrels and ducks that fell
down the chimney and couldn't get out.

The chimney's you have, Al and Rob, sound similar to the one's that are
typical in central and eastern European houses.  They simply taper for
about 15 feet getting smaller as they rise from the hearth to the
rooftop.  Most serve as storage areas and "smoke houses" for curing
meats and have ladders up inside them.  Until I saw some of these a few
years ago, the whole concept of Santa Claus coming down the chimney
always seemed pretty far-fetched.  But a soot-covered individual making
an appearance out of the chimney could actually occur rather easily in
the region where the tradition of Santa Claus got its start.  One of the
largest of these chimneys is in the kitchen of the castle for the Grand
Master of the Teutonic Knights at Malbork (Marienburg) Poland.  It's
nearly 20 feet square inside at the bottom and tapers for 30 feet or so
before exiting through the roof.  Even at the rooftop, it's still large
enough for a person to climb down through it.  And yes, Santa Claus
WOULD come down "with a bound" because the only way to get from the
hearth to the floor would be to jump.  When you think of some other
childhood tales (such as Cinderella) in terms of the hearths and
chimneys that were common in the Old World, it sheds a whole new light
on them.

Larry