[Farmall] calibrating torque wrench

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Oct 21 14:42:34 PDT 2004

I agree with Steve and would add one comment: the main reason for using
a torque wrench (and this applies more to old tractors than modern
sophisticated equipment) is to apply even tightening of fasteners around
the head or other large hunk of metal. For that reason, you don't need
to worry so much about the exact torque being applied as much as having
all the torque be more or less the same all around (and applied in
steps, as opposed to tightening one fastener all the way and then moving
on to the next one). I am sure that many tractor engine heads have been
tightened down over the years with just the "feel" of the shade tree
mechanic's arms on a big wrench in lieu of a fancy torque wrench. And
those engines ran for many more years without failure.

Mike

soffiler at myeastern.com wrote:

> Sorry to chime in late on this one:

<snip>