[AT] OT - Old Chimney Question

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Oct 20 03:22:19 PDT 2004

We have a similar situation with a much smaller chimney than Robs. They
had hooked the oil burner flue  to it, and we were getting soot inside
the house from the leaks in the mortar. I was more afraid of carbon
monoxide than anything else, so I had a liner installed. We were offered
two alternatives: a stainless steel tube inserted in the chimney or a
system where a huge "condom" is inflated and poked down inside the
chimney and then some kind of hardening foam is pumped in around it to
seal the whole thing and form a somewhat smaller flue. It was a while
ago, but it seems to me that the tube was guaranteed for less time than
the seal arrangement. The prices were not all that different. We elected
to go with the seal, and it has performed very well for the 10 or so
years that it has been in place. I am sure that the installer could
arrange for the second opening by cutting into the hardened foam after
it is in place.

Mike