[AT] OT - Old Chimney Question

WF Smith WarrenSmith at PalmettoBuilders.net
Tue Oct 19 18:16:51 PDT 2004

This is only my opinion, but if you are truly cleaning the chimney regularly
you should have no problem. You are already aware that having both 1st and
2nd floors dumping into the same flue is less than ideal. If it's not
causing the smoke to back up either up or downstairs it ought to work.

Our local chimney sweeps now offer flue lining, which I believe to be simply
installing double wall pipe in existing unlined chimneys. If your masonry
flue is really that large maybe you could line it yourself and have a safer
solution. Would it hold two pipes? For the woodstove I think you only need a
flue pipe with the cross-sectional size of the stove outlet. Fireplaces are
a little more complex, but googling "fireplace design" should keep you
occupied for hours.

Warren
---