[AT] OT - Old Chimney Question

Rob Gray Robgray at epix.net
Tue Oct 19 21:43:02 PDT 2004

Charlie,

Thanks for the response. I've never had a chimney fire, but I'd be
worried if I did since this chimney is original and I'm not sure how
well a stone chimney of that age would withstand a fire.When I bought
the place I had a chimney sweep here. He put a camera up the chimney and
said it looked good although he could not give me anything in writing
due to liability concerns. The chimney is built inside the house as
opposed to being on the outside of the outer wall, which probably would
make any sort of chimney fire worse.

Regarding the size of the fireplace; I can stand up inside of it with a
few feet clearance above my head. The opening to the fireplace is
probably 5' 8", but once you step inside the thing is all open until the
flue tightens in at about 8' from the fireplace floor. There is a big
bar up above where they used to hang meat and hang their pots from for
cooking. It is not that the  house itself is big (it is just a plain old
stone farmhouse), but they used to cook in this sort of fireplace before
iron cookstoves were invented so they made the fireplaces big to use as
a  hearth. In winter when a roaring fire is going in the fireplace you
can feel the heat of the flame on your face on the other side of the
room. They definitely don't build them like that anymore (although I
guess that is a good thing)..... I don't want to tear out the old
chimney and fireplace, but I want to be able to heat with wood at least
part of the time without too much danger of fire....... It is a
dilemna......

Rob