[AT] OT - Old Chimney Question

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Tue Oct 19 18:42:26 PDT 2004

Hi Rob,

You are right to be concerned.  I have had a chimney fire or two and they
are scary at best.  Luckily mine were contained in the chimney.  If the idea
of your whole house rumbling while flames shoot several feet out of the top
of your chimney for a couple of minutes bothers you then  don't allow
creosote to build up.

Folks around here handle the problem by first making sure their chimney is
sound and properly designed and then by periodically allowing the fire to
burn every hot  with an open draft to keep the creosote "burned" out before
it gets to a critical mass.  Cleaning with the brushes certainly would help
too!

Oh by the way...... "Stand in the fireplace"???   Wow you weren't kidding
about it being a BIG fireplace!

Charlie