[AT] OT Barn floor question

Dave Merchant nesys_com at ameritech.net
Tue Oct 19 12:19:23 PDT 2004

http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/p1/puncheon.asp

pmn´chen) , plank or board made by hewing instead of sawing. American
pioneers who could not procure the products of sawmills made much use of
puncheons in their log buildings. The puncheons used for floors were split
logs hewn smooth on the split side only.

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/puncheon

Meaning of PUNCHEON

31552822.jpg

Webster's 1913 Dictionary

   Definition:
\Punch"eon\, n. [F. poin[,c]on awl, bodkin, crown,
king-post, fr. L. punctio a pricking, fr. pungere to prick.
See {Pungent}, and cf. {Punch} a tool, {Punction}.]
1. A figured stamp, die, or punch, used by goldsmiths,
    cutlers, etc.

2. (Carp.) A short, upright piece of timber in framing; a
    short post; an intermediate stud. --Oxf. Gloss.

3. A split log or heavy slab with the face smoothed; as, a
    floor made of puncheons. [U.S.] --Bartlett.

4. [F. poin[,c]on, perh. the same as poin[,c]on an awl.] A
    cask containing, sometimes 84, sometimes 120, gallons.

Dave Merchant