[AT] OT Barn floor question

Carl Tatlock carllary at Surfglobal.net
Tue Oct 19 07:54:12 PDT 2004

George Willer wrote:

> Carl,
>
> I understand the reasonably part well, and agree that the well part
> usually applies.  The unfortunate part is that in spite of their
> German heritage (like mine), that alone is not enough to assure a
> workman's skill.  I've been a woodworker and contractor all my working
> life and as a sideline have built museum quality antique
> reproductions.  I've been called upon to re-construct poorly designed
> and poorly executed furniture that people can't understand why it
> failed.  Their idea is that since it's Amish it must be the best???
> It *can be*, but taint necessarily so!
>
> Maybe you can explain to me why something would be marketed as "Amish
> firewood", or "Amish cheese"?
>
> George Willer

Hi George;   I think the answer to "Amish firewood" and Amish Cheese" is
the same as why we lable things "Pure Vermont Maple Syrup" and "Vermont
Cheddar"  -- it is telling the consumer that this stuff is a cut above
the rest.  The implication  is that there is honest weight, good
quality-- in other words the reputation of quality .   I am sure there
are poor workmen among the Amish--(too)-- but I bet they don't get any
repeat business any more than anyone else giving poor quality work.
Good workmen are always in demand.

On that note, I just read in a 1795 journal of the opening of an iron
mine here in northern Vermont.  After trying valiantly to get the 4 ft
deep frozen ground to open up with pickaxes at 10 below zero, the boss
of the operation specified to the Boston owners that they send him
another bunch of Irishmen-- since they were the only ones hardy enough
to withstand the elements and do the job.  He said he had tried French
Canadians and they couldn't cut it.  (Personally I think they were
smart, the money wasn't that good.)   So it goes.   Perception sells--
even when science and intelligence won't back it up.....