[AT] OT Barn floor question

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Mon Oct 18 11:29:54 PDT 2004

George,  Religion has NOTHING to do with why I buy lumber and sheds from
the local Amish. COST does. I look at it two ways. The Amish in my area
build barns, houses, sheds and other buildings for about 1/2 the cost of
just the materials from other suppliers. Same with lumber. Here is one
for you. There is a guy in Johnstown who builds sheds and camp buildings
and his basic 10X20 shed with tin roof, 1/2" plywood/T-111 siding and
one door will cost you close to 3500.00 plus delivery. Now I can also go
to an Amish man in Ephratah who builds sheds, his are built using the
same construction methods for the walls and roof, BUT it will be sided
with 1" thick board/batten and will have a floor made out of 2" plank
over treated 4X4. Tin roof or shingle is the same price. Two doors
standard. Total price DELIVERED 1800.00.

I also like the way they build the buildings on site. They use post and
beam construction with pins just like the 100 year old (or more)
buildings in the area. Try to find ANY other company that will do that
and not price you into oblivion. I also have a guy just down the road
here who goes out and buys old buildings, tears them down and then
re-mills the lumber for use in upscale buildings. For a real eye opener
you should see his prices. He was just bragging about a room he did in
Schenectady. What he did was add beams inside the existing room to make
it look like exposed beam construction. For re-milled the beams and then
had his boys distress them with axes and chains. Total bill for 6 6X6X8'
beams installed to existing studwork....  7500.00 !!!!!  For 7500.00 the
Amish will put up a complete 3 room house....

Matthew,
    The reason for the floor is because the building has to move as a
unit. However you could ask them what it would cost to have it built on
site. You could have the slab poured and they could build on it.  That
way you get a solid floor and might save some money.

Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown NY