[AJD] JD 301j info wanted

bwhdon acton at onramp.bz
Sun Oct 17 18:42:55 PDT 2004

Thanks Greg.

Don

----- Original Message -----
From: <greg at theoldtractorcompany.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 17, 2004 4:32 PM
Subject: Re: [AJD] JD 301j info wanted

> Don
> I can never keep the industrial-to-ag crossover straight in my mind. I
thought it was more akin to the 1020 though as there was an industrial 2010
wheel and crawler so there shouldn't have been an overlap on the 301.

> Price sounds ok, check out the engine anyway and the hydraulics while
you're at it. These tractors have wet brakes and they run forever but when
they go they literally "shred" and plug the heck up out of the hydraulics so
be sure the oil's clean. By the way, if you ever have one shred be sure and
do BOTH sides! I can't count how many times I have seen a guy do one side
only to have the other let go in a month.

> So far as being similar to the New Holland well...I have never paid
particular attention to the New Holland so can't help you there  ;-)

> Just had a guy restore a 301, came out great
> Greg
>

> Greg Stephen
> The Old Tractor Company
> Stephen Equipment Company
> Box 709
> 7460 E Hiway 86
> Franktown, CO 80116
> 303-663-5246
> 303-468-0377 FAX<<--A GREAT WAY TO REACH ME!

> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 10:00:52 -0700, "bwhdon" <acton at onramp.bz> wrote:
>
> > Greg,
> > is the 301 the same as the 2010 but the industrial? when you say
3000/4000
> > do you mean like the ford stuff? This tractor is suppose to have a
rebuilt
> > engine and from the photos looks in nice shape and hes asking 4400.00
for
> > it. I have a 3430 new holland would it be comparable to it?
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > Don

As
> > contrasted to passing on 3000/4000 gas tractors and most 2010D (personal
> > opinion!)
> > > Since you say it has a rear blade then it has rockshaft which is good.
> > Some of the Deere industrials came without rockshaft and/or PTO which
> > becomes a pain very quickly as converting one is nearly impossible.
> > >
> > > Parts are readily available too
> > >
> > > Greg
> > >
> > > Greg Stephen
> > > The Old Tractor Company
> > > Stephen Equipment Company
> > > Box 709
> > > 7460 E Hiway 86
> > > Franktown, CO 80116
> > > 303-663-5246
> > > 303-468-0377 FAX<<--A GREAT WAY TO REACH ME!

what