[AT] Re: Time to 'fess up

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Fri Oct 15 07:51:23 PDT 2004

On 10/15/2004 at 9:54 AM Mike Sloane wrote:
>You guys have some great stories to relate. I guess I have been lucky
>over the years. My only tractor screw-ups involve getting the same

Lucky guy!   Keep your guard up though.

Another error I made was with my Farmall A.  I used loppers to cut a very
small sapling, about 2 fingers around, and then needed to pull the stub(too
small to even call a stump).    I wrapped a small chain around it a few
times around and hooked to rear cultivator arm - (why bother attaching the
with a drawbar for something my daughter could pull out with her bike? I
thought).   Dumped the clutch - and oh my god - the front end was off the
ground in a heart beat and I mean _way_ up.   The further up the front end
went, the higher the cultivator arm went (spring loaded so the arm could go
up some - I didn't think if this complication) and that in turn gave the
stump more leverage.  Fortunately the stub started giving and lowered the
front end long enough to gain my composure and get the clutch in.  I swear,
this stub was NOT bigger than two fingers.   It cut with loppers for gosh's
sake.  I don't think I would have gone all the way over, but I think if the
stub was just a little tougher or a little bigger I might have.   I like to
think if it was a little bigger I would have gotten a drawbar but would I
have?   Or would I be a statistic in the paper?

Moral:  Never hitch to anything but a drawbar, and never under-estimate a
stub (or stump as I now called my new tough little friend (-; ).

Spencer Yost
Owner, ATIS
Plow the Net!
http://www.atis.net