[AT] 100 year old stumps are nasty (burning)

Len Rugen lrugen at c-magic.com
Thu Oct 14 13:06:17 PDT 2004

This is really under the topic of raising farm boys, training repair
techniques and common sense....

I came home from work one evening and was met by a STRONG gasoline smell.
The boys leaving gas cans by the basement door is one of my pet peeves, they
should be AWAY from the house, so I walked around to see what was happening.

I found my middle son with the gas tank of the ATV.  He said it was clogged
and since he had watched me remove one from the tractor, he knew how to
handle the problem. BUT, he had used the shop vac to SUCK the gas out of the
tank.  It doesn't draw the air stream thru the motor, but you can see the
brushes sparking inside the motor when it runs.  I screamed for awhile, but
was glad he was OK.  I don't think he will do it again and even his younger
brother should know better!

He wasn't going for a jet engine, but a fuel-air explosion!

I can just see someone desinging a waste oil fueled, electrolux powered
stump burner now.

---