[AJD] 1930 GP Leaky Radiator, Ensign Carb, Air Cleaner

Chas. C. jdgp1931 at chartermi.net
Sun Oct 10 06:07:03 PDT 2004

Luke,
>>How much oil should be in the valve chamber on top of the engine?<<

Regarding the above question. Reading from my book "Instructions for the
care and operation of John Deere General Purpose Tractors" it is recommended
that you drain and flush valve tappet chamber once each season by removing
small plug on right hand cylinder block, and tappet inspection case cover on
top of cylinder block. Refill with 1 1/2 pints consisting of 3 parts engine
oil and one part kerosene.
The above pertained to my 31 GP with is the big bore but I believe that the
valve chamber is the same size.
Personally, I did not use the kerosene method. When I got my 31 GP this
chamber was almost dry and the valves were sticking which created a back
fire that would tear your ears off. After cleaning mine out I used the 1 1/2
pints of equal amounts of motor oil and Marvel Lubricating oil. It worked
wonders.
Don't worry about the oil not covering the valve stems. The lubrication is
accomplished by the splashing of the oil in the reservoir up onto the valve
stems. I tried covering the valve stems on mine once. Oil was sucked into
the engine and it smoked something terrible.
As for your radiator problem, I had the same thing with my GP. After playing
with it for almost 3 years and not completely getting rid of the leak I bit
the bullet and purchased a new core from Melanie Sharp at Sharp's place in
MO. Not a sign of a leak since.

I am surprised that Paul or Michael Ostrander have not gotten in here on
this. They are the real experts on the GP. They have helped me many times.
If you would like their e-mail address let me know.

Charlie

I notice by your signature line that you are in Rockford, MI. I am your
neighbor to the south. Live just outside of Alto.