[AT] Balling day yesterday

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Sun Oct 10 05:24:05 PDT 2004

After 5 different balings over the last two years (this is the 6th) with
the IH model 46 baler, I finally have the baler tuned and adjusted
perfectly.   Baled 200-250 bales yesterday without a single broken string
or grandma bale!  The last adjustment was knife adjustment.  It never was
real bad - about 10% grandmas - but still that is too many in my book and
my adjustments always just seem to make a slight improvement(ie went from
about 12% to 10%).

Just to keep me humble and honest about that accomplishment though, the
tractor gods intervened and smote me:  The water pump on my baling
tractor(Oliver 66 Diesel) froze up.  I had to stop with another 200 bales
to be made.   What a sinking feeling.   One of these times I am going to
make a clean full day of work with both the baler and tractor if it kills
me (-;  Interestingly I could smell two or three faint, very momentary
whiffs of rubber for about 30 minutes before the squealing started and
could not figure out what it was.  Just goes to show, never ignore
something you notice.   It is almost always a clue.  The smell was the belt
slipping even though it didn't make a sound.

Anyways, I am off to an Oliver Collector here in town to see if he has a
used water pump sitting around,

Spencer Yost
Owner, ATIS
Plow the Net!