[AJD] 1930 GP Leaky Radiator, Ensign Carb, Air Cleaner

Luke Tonneberger jdgp1930 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 9 19:32:26 PDT 2004

Hi Greg and Everyone,

I have some old gas to clean the air cleaner in. Do
you think that the gas will hurt it if it is the
natural fiber material?

How much oil should be in the valve chamber on top of
the engine? I had this apart recently and there was
maybe a cups worth in there. Wasn't very much at all
and not enough to come up and make contact with the
valve stems.

I got out the GP this afternoon and had a look at it.
The radiator was still leaking so I put some Barrs
stop leak in there that I picked up on Friday after
work. It actually worked so far. I was pretty happy at
that and very impressed. So far so good anyway.

Then I was still having a fuel problem on it. I put a
new screen in the sediment bowl a couple weeks ago. I
suspected this was causing a fuel restriction so I
took it out and tried running it without the screen.
Same problem, had to choke it to keep it running. I
stuck my arm through the gas tank opening on top of
the fuel tank and poked around in the tube where the
fuel goes into the sediment bowl. Quite a bit of rust
and crud ended up in the sediment bowl. Then I took
the bowl back off and poked up into the tank from the
bottom with a wire and a big fuzzy chunk came out. I
put it all back together and turned the fuel on. The
fuel came shooting into the sediment bowl instead of
trickling in like it did before. The fuel problem was
fixed and now it runs great with no choke at, just
like it should. It just couldn't flow fast enough to
the carb with a big fuzzy blocking the fuel line. I
was thrilled to have the radiator and fuel problem
fixed on it today.

Luke Tonneberger
Rockford, Michigan
USA
============================

greg at theoldtractorcompany.com wrote:
I suspect your air cleaner element is of natural
fibers so take care when cleaning it.
Also something to check is to make sure there is oil
in your valve chamber on top of the engine. The old
books aren't too clear on this but some oil is
required to keep the valve stems lubricated. If not,
then the valves tend to stick intermittently and the
engine will pop/stumble/etc
Just a thought
Greg

Greg Stephen