[AT] 3 point hitch backhoe attachments?

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Oct 7 15:35:27 PDT 2004

carl gogol wrote:

> Anyone on the list have any experience with 3 point hitch attached
> backhoes? There a lot of them advertised and sold, but I had one dealer
> tell me that they should never be attached that way and to use a special
> frame attachment bracket instead.  This will avoid the forces generated
> by the hoe onto the tractor from splitting / folding the tractor in
> half.
I am a little late responding to this, and I see that others have had
some comments. But I will add mine anyway.

We (the tractor dealership where I worked) sold factory mounted backhoes
on some of our tractors. There were all mounted on subframes that were
pinned to the tractor frames. We also sold Woods backhoes that could be
either frame mounted or three point mounted. When ordering the parts for
a three point mounted hoe, the Woods manual generally required a rigid
top link mount that bolted directly to the tractor's final housing. But
the bottom was still held in place by the regular lower links. We did
not recommend this arrangement to customers, and I cannot recall ever
selling one configured that way except for one Ford 4500 (which was an
"industrial" tractor). We never heard back from the customer, so I
cannot say if it was a successful match-up.

We did sell a couple of used three point hoes, but these also had some
kind of auxiliary arrangement to secure the top link - I can only assume
that the regular attachment of the top link would have been ripped
off/out. Generally, the mechanics and older salesment warned that using
a three point mounted hoe was very hard on the whole tractor. But I
never heard of one "folding up" because of the hoe.

That being said, there are a fair number of three point mounted hoes
being used around the county for cleaning drainage/irrigation ditches on
the "black dirt" farms. But these machines are not being used to wrestle
rocks out of the sides of granite hills or dig foundations in virgin
soil. So I guess it depends on what you are going to do with the machine.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

It would indeed be ironic if, in the name of national defense, we would
sanction the subversion of one of those liberties which make the defense
of our nation worthwhile. -Earl Warren, jurist (1891-1974)